Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Stomach UGH

A stomach bug is wreaking havoc in Dahlbyland.

It started yesterday afternoon . . . Meg and I had a great morning playing with some friends, and on the car ride home, Meg puked all over the place. We were still quite a ways from home . . . so we pulled over, cleaned her up the best we could, then kept on our trek home. I, stupidly, thought it was just carsickness . . . she's had it before, and as unpleasant as it is, it's usually just a one-time thing, and she's all better later.

30 minutes into our drive, she threw up again. I had to pull over at another gas station to clean her up . . . but I was out of supplies and had to make do with what I had. Meg made it the rest of the way home in a puke-covered diaper and a just-as-pukey car seat.

We got home, I put her down to rest, and she did it again.

At that point, I called Jim and urged him to come home and help me. Little did I know how much help I'd really need.

About 4:30 yesterday, the bug hit me. I was sick every 30 minutes (or less!) for 6 hours. UGH. Meanwhile, Meg was continuing to get sick, and Jim was home taking care of both of us.

It was a miserable night. What's more miserable is that this is the THIRD stomach bug to hit us this year. Is this what it means to have kids?! Prior to my bout with this same thing in February (my last battle with this bug), I hadn't had a stomach virus in probably 10 years. UGH again.

My dad should be here within the hour to help me out today. I'm feeling better -- at least keeping down liquids -- but I do feel a bit like I've been hit with a train after all that happened last night. If this goes as it did in February, I should be feeling better the day-after-tomorrow.

UGH one more time.

Thank GOD for Jim -- he was a lifesaver last night. He did EVERYTHING and kept asking what else he could do. I kept apologizing, he kept telling me not to . . . we were both a mess. He was as fantastic as I've ever seen him. He had to go out of town today for business . . . and since I know we've made it through the worst of it, I encouraged him to go. I bet he's as tired and as wrecked as I am today. What a man.

More as soon as I'm feeling a bit better. Thanks for any well-wishes . . . we'll be OK, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I hope you and Meg are feeling better. Nothing is harder than being sick at the same time as your child. Here's to a better day ahead!

*HUGS*
B

Heather Dahlby said...

Thanks Becky -- it was the WORST!!

And, I just re-read my blog, which -- at some parts -- doesn't even seem to make sense. Can you tell we were struggling yesterday when I wrote that?!