Tuesday, November 6, 2007

This Might Take Your Breath Away

It did for me. The first time I drove over Lake Allatoona since our local watering bans began, I nearly wrecked the car. The scene is more like a desert than a lake. It really made me realize what a water crisis Georgia is in.



I couldn’t even believe it. Lake Allatoona provides the water for OUR HOME. It is the major source of water for all of Cobb County. And there just isn’t much water there.

I think seeing this has made me much more aware of what is going on. I find myself conserving as much as I can. I turn the tap off quickly when washing my hands, dishes, food, etc. I try to cut down on my laundry and do larger loads to help conserve. I pay attention to the news and listen for ways to conserve.

I can’t say honestly that I’ve changed my showering habits . . . but I did feel guilty for taking 2 showers on Saturday.

Water is so basic – such a fundamental part of our lives. Our water crisis is real, and the Army Corps of Engineers say that we could “run out” of water in 70 days. I say “run out” because we won’t really be without water . . . but Georgia will have to look for new sources and other geographic regions to help, and that will most certainly get expensive.

I just had to share these photos today in an effort to show you how real the drought is. The scene shocked me – and maybe it shocks you, too.

2 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

I now turn off the water when brushing my teeth & then turn it back on again to rinse....Look at us "Official Granola Girls"!
Erica

Becky said...

Looks just like Lanier on our side of town. We now have the big 'ole dispenser and 5 gallon jugs of Crystal Springs delivered to our house. When you cut back on using water, it's shocking just how much you did use!

B