Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Helicopter Flight in Hawaii



Today was the community Garage Sale. The big event that we'd worked for about 3 weeks to prepare for; the big garage sale that was going to rid us of all of our junk. Jim and I both have been excited about this garage sale for quite some time. It was going to be a big Saturday at the Dahlby's.


The only thing that could spoil it: Rain.
And what, of course, was the forecast for this morning? Rain.



I was just about to start asking, "Am I EVER going to catch a break?" . . . when the rain decided to hold off today and let us have our Garage Sale in peace. A big shout out to Mother Nature -- we appreciate your cooperation today.



Thanks to the good weather (and Jim's diligent selling efforts), we sold a ton of our junk . . . from shoes to spice racks to strollers. So much junk. I was astounded at some of the stuff that actually sold, it was so junky. But sell it did. From about 8:00am till noon we had very steady traffic, and the sales (and haggling) were coming left and right. It was pretty happening in our driveway as the sun came up this Saturday.


You know what else astounded me? The stuff that didn't sell. We had a nice, big TV for sale -- and we thought certainly someone would buy it for $50. Nope. And I had a bunch of very standard, cream colored curtain panels for sale that are still sitting in our garage this evening. And a nice, over sized mirror (with a gold frame, unfortunately) did not sell for a measly $15. Humph. Guess some my junk is still junk in other people's eyes, too.




Yesterday, as we prepare for our Hawaiian vacation later this week, I bought a travel book that several friends had recommended we take along with us. And in that book, we were sad to learn that a helicopter flight on Kauai is about $400 per couple. Ouch. It's one of the things we really, really want to do on our vacation . . . but the $400 price tag sure has made us think twice about how badly we really, really want to do it.



This morning I jokingly said, "Hey, if we make $400, there is our helicopter flight in Hawaii!" I didn't think for a minute we'd come close to that kind of Garage Sale profit.


I'm here to say: we will be taking a helicopter flight in Hawaii. All of our hard work paid off, and the Garage Sale was a big success. It was fun and functional -- totally worth the effort. And maybe a week from today, I'll be thinking of our Saturday morning sale as we tour one of the Hawaiian Islands by air.

2 comments:

Amy said...

You can tape newspaper over your mirror and spraypaint the frame... I painted ALL of the brass light fixtures in our house with a textured brown... it looks really expensive and I did ALL of them, a picture frame, and some other odds and ends for about $10!!! I even painted a chandelier... I thought, what could it hurt since I was in the market for new ones!

BTW: have a great time in Hawaii... at least the sickness happened prior to your trip!

Tiffany Payment said...

These cream colored panels?? How much do you want for them? Wanna email me?