Thursday, August 27, 2009

Let's Stay Together


This one was our wedding song. Our first dance. The song that ALWAYS makes me think of Jim and our awesome wedding day EVERY single time I hear it.

It's often played as background music in the mall or at the dentist . . . you'll probably notice it now that I've mentioned it. Whenever I hear it in public like that, a big smile comes across my face. I feel almost like I have a secret from those all around me when that happens, like my smile hides something from them. Strangers are probably are curious about the goofy smiling lady picking out her frozen waffles at Publix, nodding along to a song they can barely even hear over the PA system. But I hear it . . . and I can't help it.

And really, it's no secret: I love my husband.


Lately, I have had this fear that Jim is going to leave me. I don't have any real foundation for that feeling -- it's not like I think he's cheating or that he's found something else out there. He's not SAID he's leaving; we have not been fighting. He is not the root of my fear. I just wonder -- with my crazy family, my moodiness, all the baggage I have -- how I could be so lucky to have found someone like him to love me like he does? My luck is bound to run out sometime, right? I honestly wonder about that. And if he left me . . . my God, I'd be lost. The idea of him leaving me is one of the scariest things I could imagine. I just love him too much.


Sounds crazy, I know. But I keep asking Jim, "You aren't going to leave me, right?" He says no. He assures me that he's never leaving me. He laughs and asks why I keep asking that. And then a day or two goes by, and I ask him again.


I guess I picked a good wedding song for us -- one that really gets to the heart of this matter. "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green.


Let's Stay Together

I'm, I'm so in love with you
Whatever you want to do
Is alright with me
'Cause you make me feel so brand new
And I want to spend my life with you


Me sayin' since, baby, since we've been together
Ooo, loving you forever
Is what I need
Let me, be the one you come running to
I'll never be untrue


Ooo baby
Let's, let's stay together
Loving you whether, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad



Oooo oooo ooo ooo, yeah
Whether times are good or bad, happy or sad
Why somebody, why people break up
Oh, and turn around and make up
I just can't see

You'd never do that to me
(Would you baby)
"Cause being around you is all I need
It's why I want us to


Let's, let's stay together
Loving you whether, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad
--Al Green

1 comment:

The Fokens Family said...

Love the wedding pics!
~E