Monday, August 31, 2009

And By the End of the Day . . .

Written at about 4pm . . .

No, Jim, I can't drop everything and call the doctor about the reciepts. Why not? Because I just can't do everything. (So JIM called him. And got what he needed. Without my help.)



Neighborhood Newsletter is done. Just waiting on someone else to drop off their portion, and it will be out to the neighbors tomorrow.



Mom's car is sold. Paid for in cash. DONE.



5 loads of laundry done. 2 left for tomorrow. (I'm still behind from the lake trip.)



Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. And even found time to bake an apple crisp (practially from scratch).



Cleaning arrangements maid.



One photo session done and ready for tomorrow's mail.



All photo requests responded to. Neiher session ended up working out, after all.



Called about the peditirican appointment. It's late next month, and now's it's officially on the calendar.



My painting responsibilities on the DIY project are done. It's up to Jim to finish the project and hang it up. (A bulletin board for the kitchen desk area.)



Not everything got addressed, of course. But I feel like I accomplished a whole lot in one day. And managed to find time to read to Meg, play peek a boo with Kate, and even write this blog.


-------

Written hours later . . .


And then at about 5:45pm, I placed a my lovely apple crisp in it's glass pie pan on my glass stovetop. I attempted to turn the burner on low on the OTHER side of the stove to warm peas for dinner. With the peas going, I went outside to let the girls play with playdoh. I returned about 10 minutes later, and the glass pie dish had exploded all over the kitchen. OOPS. Guess I didn't turn the burner on under the peas . . . I turned it on under the pie dish instead. Glass was everywhere . . . and in came the girls to see what all the fuss was about in the kitchen.

I had even had the audacity to post "Heather Abernathy Dahlby thinks she's got in under control" as my FaceBook Status update only minutes before the kitchen catastrophe.

I thought Jim was going to return home at 6pm to find dinner waiting for him . . . and even an apple crip for dessert. I thought he'd find a calm and collected me, proving to him once again that I CAN do it all. I was proud of myself for making a good day out of one that started off so rocky. I honestly felt like I had gotten things under control, and I was happy about that.

Oh, but who am I kidding? I think karma got me becuase I allowed myself to think I had things under control. Shame on me.

Jim came home to a big, huge mess in the kitchen. I was not exactly calm. Dinner was ready, bu it had to sit and get cold while we cleaned up the glass and pie that was all over the counter and floor. The stovetop was not permanently damaged, thank goodness. And Jim even ran up to the grocery store after dinner to get all the ingredients for another apple crisp . . . his attempt to wound my bruised pride.

So, I made two apple crips today. And managed to keep it all together, admidst more choas and confusion than I deserve in one day.

3 comments:

The Cibulas said...

I know those days all too well. Why does it have to happen? I can only imagine how many I will have with 2 little ones...ugh! (but, soooo love your attitide about it:)

Becky said...

Ah Heather, too funny, sounds like my days sometimes! I think you got LOTS accomplished, way to go! Although I couldn't help but laugh at this one "Cleaning arrangements maid." Was that a typo (made/maid) or a freudian slip? I am currently enjoying maid service thanks to my parent's generous anniversary present and it is HEAVEN!!!

Keisha said...

Forget the apple crisp ... I'm imrpressed that you got the rest done!!! You rock!