Friday, August 28, 2009

Favorite Photo Friday & The First Day of School

So, it's Friday, and I have pictures to share. (But no song -- there just wasn't one for today.)

Today was a really fun day. It started early -- like 6am. I was up and ready to greet our buddy Will, who was coming for an early morning playdate because his mom had to go to a very early doctor's appointment. He arrived a little before 7am, sleepy eyed and a little confused about being dropped off at Meg's house so darn early in the morning. I greeted him with a big smile, and together we watched "Finding Nemo" as the sun rose.

Meg and Kate woke up about 7:30am. I dressed and fed them, while Will hung out with us and played with any wheeled toy he could find. By 8:30am, I had everyone dressed, diapered, fed, and ready to go to preschool.




Including Kate.


Yes, today was Kate's very first day of "Young 2's" preschool (AKA: Mom's Morning Out). She was off for her very first day . . . and, of course, I documented the occasion.







This morning I got a taste of what my life could be like in 2012. I had one 'big kid' (Meg), one a little bit younger (Will), and my one year old (Kate). If we do have another baby in 2011 . . . which is kinda the plan, God willing . . . I will have a first grader, a preK kid, and a one year old in 2012. And this morning, with kids wandering, eating, playing, laughing . . . I got a feel for what it might be like.

It was pretty cool. True, I did NOT have to dress or feed Will . . . he came to me all ready for school. I offered him some food, but I didn't have to require him to eat it as I might my own kiddo. And true, Meg is nowhere near the way she'll be in first grade. So it wasn't exactly what life would be like. But it was a little taste for me.

The hardest part? (Aside from trying to take pictures in the pouring rain, I mean.)


Getting everyone in the car when it was time to go. Everyone and all their stuff. But once we were on the road, it was a piece of cake. And the whole dressing-feeding thing wasn't too bad either. I mean, I was making breakfast for two already . . . how hard was it to throw in enough for one more kid? I guess when we add one more Dahlby to the clan, I'll be okay with feeding -- we just won't go anywhere for a while.



I had fun this morning taking care of the threesome.



Kate did GREAT on her first day at MMO. We entered the big playroom where we do drop off/pick up, and she hit the ground running. She did not look back. I had to move her around the room a few times to attempt to get ONE picture of her looking kinda in my direction . . .she was so entertained with everything there. She loved it. I left after saying my 'hellos' to the teachers, and Kate did not even notice. When I picked her up 3 hours later, the darling girl had blue paint all over her hands and face, which indicated to me that she'd had a blast during art time.




"Yeah, she ate some of the paint . . . . " her teacher reluctantly informed me.
I laughed. "Good -- now I don't have to worry about lunch!" I replied.



Fridays are tricky for us for the next little while . . . Kate gets picked up at noon, but Meg stays in her class until 1pm. Translation: I have to do double pick up. I'm figuring I can just take Kate somewhere for lunch, return for Meg, and then take both (exhausted) girls home for naps. Our home is just far enough away that coming all the way back in that one hour time span won't really work. So Kate and Mommy will have lunch dates for the next while . . . until I think she's old enough to stay for 'Lunch Bunch' and a 1pm pick up time.



Our Fridays have a new feel as of today. Next week might be a bit easier when I'm down to only prepping for two kids, we'll see. It was a fun morning.



(And YES . . . I enjoyed my THREE HOURS to myself! Holy Cow! I went and got my hair colored and my eye brows waxed. Salon time without the girls is a true treat for me, so I had a great morning with and without kids.)

1 comment:

The Fokens Family said...

Good for you! You MORE than deserve that 3 hour break. Can't wait to see the new color & brows too:)
~Erica