Thursday, March 6, 2008

Kate: An Update


24+ weeks and counting. Baby Kate is growing strong. My last appointment was on the 4th, and all was well . . . heartbeat in the 140s, mommy’s weight in the 1XXs (and climbing!). Next appointment includes the dreaded glucose test . . . thank goodness my doctor gave me the 'soda' to drink on my way into the office. That will surely save some time at that LONG appointment.

I feel Kate move all the time, which – as previously mentioned in another blog – is so reassuring. Since I feel her move, I’m more and more confident in this pregnancy everyday . . . it’s Jim that seems to need the convincing that everything is going to be OK. I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago because I was totally uncomfortable . . . not sick to my stomach, but just uncomfortable and a bit sore through my mid-section. I had a hard time explaining it to Jim, who (disclosed to me the next morning) thought I was in preterm labor of some kind. He asked a lot of questions, helped me get comfortable, then we eventually went back to sleep. The next morning, Jim said he was really nervous when I woke up all miserable. He thought something was wrong . . . just like the time I said, “Oh NO!” when going to the bathroom because my the sash for my bathrobe had fallen into the toilet. He freaked out then, too. And then this week, I called to tell him that I was on my way to the doctor and he spazed out – “Oh No!” he said, this time. I laughed and told him to relax, it was just the 24 week check up, nothing more. I guess because it’s my body, I know when things aren’t OK . . . but Jim just has to watch from the sidelines and be on guard for any problems that arise. There won’t be any problems – we’re doing great – but please help me convince Jim of that.

One thing that bothers me with this pregnancy – and it might seem silly – is when people say, “Oh, another girl? That’s great!” People are always happy when they say it . . . it’s not that . . .it’s the word another. For some reason, calling her ‘another’ girl really feels degrading to me. Like Meg was the original, and Kate is just ‘another’ one. I try very, very hard never to say it. I’ve asked Jim to do the same. I don’t want it to ever sound like we are disappointed that we are having a girl because nothing could be further from the truth. But, when you say ‘another’ girl, it sounds like it’s a disappointment to me. “Oh, another one, huh?” I don’t know. Call me crazy (or just pregnant) . . . but Kate is not just ‘another’ girl to me. She’s my new baby girl.

Last night, I had some time to spend in her room . . . her nursery . . . putting the crib back together and making it a real ‘baby room’ again (Meg was at my parents for the night – hence the ‘free’ time). I hung up her newborn dresses. I worked hard to get her crib mattress back in to the tall position. I washed and dried the crib linens, then put them in the crib. All of that was a bit emotional for me . . . getting ready for our new arrival. But the MOST emotional part was putting the mobile back on the crib. Just that little spinning mechanism threw me for a real loop. As I was fiddling with it, I bumped the ‘on’ button, and the mobile music flooded the room . . . and it flooded my heart. I was instantly whisked back to the late summer of 2006 . . . Meg lying in the crib, sun pouring in her nursery window at our old house, me standing there watching my baby. I couldn’t believe how vivid my memories of that were.

I started to cry. Not just weepy tears, but really crying tears. I cried because I know how lucky we are to have another baby coming to our wonderful home. I cried because Meg is so big now . . . those days of her with her mobile were so short, so sweet. I cried with excitement because I cannot wait to do it all over again. With a new baby. I told Jim about it during our nightly ‘going-to-bed’ phone call (our last chat of the night) . . . I told him how spending time the nursery, getting it ready for Kate, really made me realize that we are having a second baby. Not ‘another’ baby . . . a new baby. I can’t wait for him to come home tonight and see Kate’s crib, all ready for her arrival.

Kate’s doing great, and I can’t wait to meet her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look at that baby belly!! It's so cute and round - no doubt there's a sweet healthy baby in there. Hope you're feeling good!