Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Calm in the Storm

My Darling Meg,

This is for you – I want to record the events of this morning as one of my all time favorite “mommy moments” to date.

At 6:20am this morning, I was jolted out of bed to the sound of crazy rain, terrible wind, and frightening thunder. As I rubbed my eyes and tried to get a hold on exactly what was going on around me, lightening bolted all around our house and filled my bedroom with daytime-like light. I hopped out of bed to peer out the window and witnessed a crazy storm burst – the kind that bends trees until you think they’ll touch the ground and makes rain fly perfectly horizontal to the flooding ground below.

The power began to flicker on and off – and our smoke detectors and your baby monitor were freaking out, buzzing and beeping with each flick. I worried that all this noise would wake you – would startle you out of sleep. I finally went downstairs to turn the darn monitors off . . . and I peek outside again from ground level. I was scared – I’ll admit it. It was just you and me in the house. Our satellite TV was out, so I was worried about how I’d know if there was a tornado near by . . . how could I find out what was going on with this storm – and when would it stop?

By 6:30am our power was off, and the storm was dying down. I got back in bed and wondered how long the house would be dark . . . and then I wondered how you were, and I decided I should go check.

I opened your bedroom door, and you were sitting up in bed. Immediately, you said, “Mama” in the sweetest, most timid little voice. My heart dropped and I knew that the storm had scared you, too. I tried to lay you back down, but you were wide awake, and I knew I couldn’t leave you in there to fall asleep on your own.

I picked you up and rocked you in your chair for quite some time. I snuggled you, smelled you, loved you. We had not had a time like this in a while . . . where you were interested in nothing more than being held in the comfort and safety of my arms. I felt needed; I felt your unconditional love for me. I rocked and rocked, and when you looked nearly asleep, I attempted to place you back in bed. But, again, you woke up and said, “Mama.”

“Do you want to come in Mommy’s bed and sleep, sugar?” I asked you.
“Yeah . . .” you replied.

So, again I picked you up, and this time I walked you into my room. The halls of our house were so dark . . . but my bedroom shutters were open and there was just the slightest hint of daylight beginning to come in. By now it was nearly 7:00am, and I knew we could just as easily get up and start our day as we could lay down in my bed. But, I wanted to lay there with you and see if you’d snuggle some more . . .

You did. I layed you down on my side of the bed, and you curled up with your lovee and with me and drifted in and out of sleep. We cuddled, and you snoozed for an hour, off and on. You’d rolled over, open your eyes and look at me for a few seconds, then you’d close your eyes again and fall back into your steady breathing pattern. Your lovee smelled like your little baby breath. Your hair smelled like last night’s bath. It was heaven. And it ended as sweetly as it began . . . around 8:00am you opened your eyes and sat up in my bed.

“Did you have a good snooze with Mommy?” I asked.
“Yeah . . . “ you replied.

You’ll never remember this morning, but I’ll never forget. It was a priceless time that all mothers would cherish. I cherish it, for certain. I cherish you, my Meg. Thanks for making my morning so perfect.



Love,

Your Mama

3 comments:

The Cibulas said...

I must admit I got teary eyed reading this post. Oh, how I miss those days of snuggling! You were a lucky mama today.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are all safe and sound...boy that would be scary!

Snuggling and blogging about This adventure is the sweetest thing!
I hope you have much more snuggling before baby gets here and even after!

xox Tiffany

Becky said...

A truly heartfelt post. It's the small moments that make the biggest mark on our lives.