Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We Saw Santa

and nobody cried!

Took the girls to the mall yesterday -- my dad and I did -- to meet Santa Claus. Last year, Kate was the only one who'd sit on his lap . . . Meg wanted nothing to do with Mr. C. Nothing at all -- not even a friendly high five or a wave from afar. I had tortured Meg the previous year (see here), so I simply could not do that to her again. But this year, with the idea of sharing her Christmas wishes in her head, Meg willingly sat with Santa Claus.

(Insert Hallelujah Chorus here.)


Granted, Meg froze once on the big guy's lap, and she would not tell Santa a single thing she wanted for Christmas. She clammed up like I had never seen her do before. My Meg, not talking? It was a scene! Mommy had to help her communicate. I helped her remember what is was that she's been dreaming of since we saw it in Target back in October (a Disney Princess bike, if you recall), and together we asked Santa for it with our kindest words.

Oh well. Can't win them all, I guess. At least she sat with him. I'll take that for this year . . . and maybe in a year or two, we'll get him a list together before we go.

Kate . . . well, she wasn't really keen on the idea of this big dude in a red suit putting his arms around her. "You mean I have to sit with this guy?" was what the look on her face was telling us all as I lowered her into his lap. I had my mind set that she was going to totally freak, as Meg had done at the 1 1/2 yr Christmas. But instead, Kate watched Meg and -- like she does most of the days of her life -- she imitated her and did just what big sis was doing. Kate really wanted to cry, but she didn't. And once Santa handed her a treat, she was golden to sit there as long as necessary.




It was a classic experience . . . we waited in line for about 10 minutes with other families all dressed in their holiday gear, Santa spoke with the girls and gave them each a candy cane, and I got to spend $25 (!!!!!) on the most basic picture package in order to have the privilege of taking my own pictures with my own camera. All in all, just what you'd expect from a mall Santa stop. It was terrific, regardless of the price tag.

My favorite Meg comment about the whole event -- after she was off Santa's lap and had found her voice once again: "Mommy, Santa's lap was bumpy. I told you it was going to be bumpy. I was right."


Another Christmas tradition that we have been able to enjoy this year. Man-o-Man -- as these girls get bigger and my love for them grows and grows, these holidays and traditions just keep getting better and better!

3 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

Just darling...Santa is so nice looking too! What mall is this?
So, there's hope for next year for us??
~Erica

Heather Dahlby said...

Good Old Town Center in Kennesaw. Nothing fancy. Meg saw the Santa at Phipps (from afar) and we upset that he was not wearing a hat. She insisted that HER Santa would wear a hat. I noticed last week that the TC Santa had a hat, so the decision was made!

Keisha said...

We do love out Town Center Santa. The Morris' will be visiting him soon. I'm glad you were able to get the picture you've been hoping for!!