Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hand-Foot-Mouth

It's 11:38am on Thursday morning, and I just wrote an email to a friend . . . it sums up how I'm feeling in one quick paragraph:

"Last night SUCKED. We were up all night. I think it was the worst night I've ever had with Kate -- EVER. She was not even that bad as a newborn! We were eating Popsicles at 1am, she was playing and crawling around in my bed at 4am, and then she was throwing her loveys out of her own bed at 5:30am. I crawled in bed after she finally nodded off at 7am . . . only to have Meg wake me up with her beautiful smile exactly 42 minutes later. *sigh* "

What is wrong with Kate? I found out yesterday afternoon that Kate has Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease. If you don't know what it is, look it up and then PRAY your kid does not get it. Or -- pray that your kid does not get as bad of a case as Kate has. Or, at least pray that Kate gets better soon and is able to sleep again. And if you have a prayer left over, pray that I can get some sleep and a shower . . . neither of which I've really had since Tuesday. Ever since Kate woke up from her post-Santa-visit nap on Monday afternoon, she's been just miserable. I feel so bad for her.

And now it's 11:40am, and I hear Kate crying from her crib. She's been napping for exactly 40 minutes now. And she's done.

So am I. Thank GOD Jim comes home this afternoon. It's been the week from HELL around here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes...the fun Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease...Drew had it back in September, but not a bad case. Hope you had it when you were little...K

The Fokens Family said...

Thanks for your well wishes..we're over the moon!

I hope Kate starts to feel better. So glad Jim is coming home to help!

~E

Kelly Paynter said...

OH MY GOD. You poor thing. Claudia had this last year. Basically there's NO CURE and NO TREATMENT and it takes like TWO FRIGGIN' WEEKS to go away!! I so feel your pain! They told us to mix Benadryl and Maalox and swab it on her tongue to ease the pain of the sores on her tongue, but that's about all you can do. Oh, and don't be surprised if at the end of the illness, her whole body gets a rash that lasts about a day. We spent a $100 copay to the ER for that one only to be told "That's normal for the end of hand-foot-mouth." I think Claudia picked it up at the kid's area in IKEA and we haven't been back since!!

Jen O'Daniel said...

Oh, I do know all about Hand-Foot-Mouth... and you'll certainly get a prayer coming your way! It is miserable. Grayson had a case of it last spring... and it was on the heals of a week of pneumonia. She picked it up at the doctor's office during one of the 4 ped visits and 1 ER visit. After surviving the pneumonia, I was in tears (literally bawling crying to the doctor) to learn that she then had HFM. The good news was that it didn't last too long... Hope that's true of your situation, too! Hope all are well and you can get some sleep soon! Hang in there!