Sunday, November 1, 2009

We're Off to See the Wizard




Unfortunately, it rained on Halloween.

But that did not slow us down one single bit. Rain or shine, it was the MOST fun Halloween I have ever had.



Meg could not WAIT to Trick or Treat. Starting on Thursday, she was saying, "The day after tomorrow we will Trick or Treat!" Then Friday came, and she knew Halloween was just one day away. When I warned her that it might rain, she responded with, "That's OK, Mommy. I'll hold my Toto and basket in THIS hand, and I'll hold my Aurora umbrella in the other hand."




True to her word, she had it all figured out when we stepped out into the mist to Trick or Treat around the 'Hampton on Saturday evening. It was cold and wet, but Meg did not care. She rang doorbell after doorbell . . . then ran back to report what goodies she was given. I don't know when I've seen her so excited. (And yes, I eventually talked her into wearing a jacket over her dress, as sad as it was to cover up her blue gingham.)



And Kate . . . well, once she was suited up like the Scarecrow, I could not get enough of her. She was the cutest little Ozian I could have ever imagined. She took the whole night in stride . . . she did not let the the rain bother her at all (though she got SOAKED!). She toddled along behind Meg and wanted to go to each and every house her big sister did. Kate could not say, "Trick or Treat" just yet, but nobody cared. The neighbors took one look at her and those painted-on freckles, and she was given as much candy as her chubby little hands could carry.



It was so much fun.


And when our baskets were full, home we went to dump out the loot and see what we'd gotten. The girls were stripped down to their underclothes and I tried to get them upstairs into a warm bath -- but they weren't having any of it. They wanted to give out candy to the trick-or-treaters ringing our doorbell, and they wanted to eat as much of their candy as we'd let them. So that's what we did.






Rain or shine, it was an awesome night. It's going to be hard to top it in years to come . . . the cuteness, the innocence, the sheer joy they felt from such a fun event. I had a blast watching my girls soak up the childhood wonder that is Halloween.





Now that it is all over -- and the girls had such a great time -- what on earth do I do with all of this candy?!

No comments: