Sunday, November 29, 2009

Holiday Traditions

We've been swept up in the holiday traditions of Thanksgiving over the past week. Immediately upon my return from my weekend away with my dad, I hit the ground running for Thanksgiving week. We had a house full of Dahlbys, lots of holiday decor and activities to keep us busy, and two little Dahlby girls that ate up every second of the wonderful week. It was a bit of a whirlwind -- hence my lack of posting over he past several days. I didn't disappear . . . just took a week away from the computer to enjoy what the holiday was offering at my house.


There are many Thanksgiving traditions that Jim and I both bring into our family of four. As with any marriage, it's a little bit of what Jim is accustomed to at the holidays mixed with a little bit of what I grew up with that creates our very own Dahlby family holiday. A lot of compromising goes on as to which way we'll 'do things' -- such as what time we'll eat Thanksgiving dinner or what we will serve -- and what we create in the process are traditions that become uniquely our own. Traditions that (I hope) Meg and Kate will grow up to love and enjoy.


I think the A # 1 Thanksgiving holiday tradition that Jim and I have created for our family: the Georgia/Georgia Tech football game, which takes place on Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend every year. As you know, Jim is a Yellow Jacket . . . I'm a Bulldawg. It always makes for a very interesting last-Saturday-in-November. We have gone to the this game together -- Jim and I -- ever year we've been together. This year was no different. 2009 was the 9th edition of our UGA/GT rivalry game attendance.

The girls came down to the tailgate at Bobby Dodd Stadium yesterday -- though we think they are not quite old enough to actually attend the game with Mom and Dad just yet. Still, they loved tailgating with us all . . . decked out as our house divided, of course. It was fun to share with Meg and Kate the excitement of a fall tradition that means so much to Jim and me.

And at the end of the afternoon, Nana Dahlby packed up the girls and took them home so Mom and Dad could go into the stadium and see the University of Georgia reclaim our spot as the BESTcollege football team in the state of Georgia. Georgia WON last night -- which was quite an upset in the world of college football.

That is one holiday tradition I just can't ever get tired of. :)

Once a dawg, always a dawg. How sweet it is!

Hope your weekend was as happy and family-filled as ours was . . . and I hope your holiday traditions were enjoyed by everyone around you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for football and I'm glad that your team won. I went to Michigan -- another great football school (well not this year....)

How did you and Jim meet? He's from Kansas, right?