Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Playdates



In sharp contrast to Tuesday's post of busy-ness, I'd like to take one day to address something that I fear is approaching extinction at our house in the next year or so: playdates.


We used to do playdates all the time . . . back before Meg was in preschool, dance, and had a little sister also in MMO. Back in a time when our friends also had equally unimpressive schedules and we had time for the playdates. Now it's so hard to schedule a simple get-together with friends. What is your schedule? Do you have preschool Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs? And what day did you said you have dance? I miss the days when we could all just call each other at 9am and say, "You want to meet at the park in an hour?"



Because of my love of playdates (which I value for the socialization of my children and the sanity provided to me with a few hours of adult conversation), I made a promise to myself that I would not pack our weekly schedule with too many 'have to' events. We have preschool -- a necessity at Meg's age, a luxiury for Kate -- which takes up Tues/Thurs/Fri mornings. We have dance for Meg on Tuesday . . . which makes Tuesday hectic, but is worth it because it leaves Mon and Wed totally free. And that is it. We are free nearly every afternoon and all day on Mondays and Wednesdays.


I realized over this summer that the time when we can just be homebodies and enjoy each other is going to go by SO fast. The time for my kids to be simply kids is going to vanish before my eyes. Playdates are going to be outgrown, the library story time will no longer be offered at a time when we are free, and "Pajama Days" will be banished to only Saturday or Sunday in just a few short years. Next year, Meg is off to PreK and a four day a week school schedule (they offer 5 Day PreK, but I'm sticking to my plan of less-is-more and only sending her to the 4-Day program). Kate will go to preschool 2 mornings a week . . . and we are down to only having Friday as a 'fun day' of the week. The year after that is Kindergarten, and our life will change as we know it when that occurs. That menas there are two years left when we can just hang out with our buddies during the week, go to the park, meet at the library, etc. Two short years.



I want to keep my girls little for a little while longer. I don't want them to grow up in these busy lives when they don't have enough time to just be. I want to give them time to enjoy their toys, books, games, each other . . . and their friends.



I hope that there are others out there who share my love of playdates. If so . . . let me know, and we'll plan one for sometime very soon.



2 comments:

Keisha said...

Dear Meg and Kate's Mommy,

I would like to request a playdate with your two daughters as soon as possible. While I know they would probably prefer to play with Kendall, I feel it is only fair that they continue to play with me. I can bring a lot to the table. I won't fight with them over the babies. I am really good at kicking a ball. I love blowing bubbles. And I am free any morning of the week except Monday. Please call my mommy to set up a playdate as soon as possible -- I think she needs it as much as I do.

Love, your friend,
Tanner

Jen O'Daniel said...

Hey Heather -

We are going to be in the new house next week finally, and I'd love to have a playdate any ol' time! Maybe we could do a playdate one day for Kate and Grayson while Meg is at school, or if you ever want a little break (you know, hands-free grocery shopping or whatnot) then you are welcome to drop Kate off to play anytime! (Meg, too, but she might be bored with all the "baby toys" we have - we need more big girl toys.) Similarly to your post below, I have decided to value the time I have with Grayson while she is a baby - while we do things like playdates and before we have to rearrange our lives around T-ball, dance, and piano lessons. :) So let's get together sometime soon - my house, your house, playing in the park, whatever!