Thursday, September 17, 2009

Little Tidbits

Ordered a new book this week: True Mom Confessions: Real Moms Get Real.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425226042/ref=ox_ya_oh_product


I'm excited to get it. It's all about the awful things that moms really think . . . I'm hoping it is therapeutic for me. I need anything I can to help me feel like I'm NOT a bad mom! I'll let you know how it is.


_________________________________


My oldest daughter was in rare form when we had company last weekend. Meg, God love her, is so freakin' opinionated. At only 3 years old, the kid is a nightmare at times because she wants everything her way. I do realize that it's typical for this age . . . that she's trying to figure out what she does/does not have control over in her little world . . . but the fact that I know why she's doing it does not make it any less exhausting!


During our bbq on Sunday, one of our young guests needed to borrow some clothing. The little girl and Meg were about the same size, so it was no problem . . . we dressed the friend in Meg's blue play outfit, and she was ready to return to the party in her fresh outfit.


Immediately Meg saw her friend, newly dressed in her duds, and she was frantic.


"That's what I wanted to wear tomorrow!" Meg began . . . and she pouted and whined about it for the next 15 minutes. Meanwhile, I've been trying to get Meg to wear this particular outfit to school because it is cute and comfy -- but she would not hear of it. Until Sunday, of course.
It was ridiculous (and so embarrassing!). So ridiculous, in fact, that only the most ridiculous of suggestions would cure the problem.


"Meg, do you just want to switch outfits with Hannah?" my friend asked my child.

"Yes," Meg firmly replied.


And so -- you guessed it -- we convinced Hannah to change clothes with Meg. And they remained in their opposite outfits for the rest of the night. Just to make Meg happy. Sheesh.


They remained in their opposite outfits -- I should say -- right up until it was time to leave. As we were saying our goodbyes, Hannah decided she was not going to wear Meg's clothes home.

Maybe it was the guilt trip Meg was laying on her -- "Mommy, she's going to bring my clothes back, right? She's going to wash them and bring them back?" Yes, Meg. For the 100th time, she'll bring your clothes back.



Whatever the reason, Hannah wasn't having it. We had to find another outfit for Hannah to wear home -- the dress she'd been wearing that evening simply would not do any longer. Without hesitation, Meg tromped up to her room and selected a very pink tank top and some very pink shorts. She marched back down and presented them to her friend.


And that, my friends, is what Hannah wore home.


Good Grief. I guess this is what I have to look forward to with girls.


______________________________
Kate is talking a lot these days. In her 15 month old vocabulary is:



"All Done" both words!
"Yes"
"Dada"
"Mama"
"Ya Ya" what she calls my dad for some reason
"Uh Oh"
"Juice"
"Cracker"
"Quack"
"Dog Dog"
"Kitty"
"Up"
"Ni-Ni" for night-night (think long 'i' sound)



Nothing for "Meg" yet, but I'm hoping soon. She adores Meg . . . gets lonely when she is gone . . . so I know it is only a matter of time before something like, "May" comes out of her tiny mouth.


She's still tiny . . . Kate is tipping the scales at a whopping 21 pounds. My peanut. In comparison, Meg weighed 20lbs, 12oz at 9 months old. (I had to reference the baby book on that one.) Kate is small but mighty, that is for sure. Her gross motor skills are far more advanced that Meg's were at this age. She's practically running and is a total monkey. She might be little, but she works it to her advantage . . . she can climb in or out of just about anything.



As you would think with a second child, Kate continues to be the polar opposite of Meg. Her vocabulary is larger (though her communication skills in general are a little slower), she gets around amazingly for her age compared to her big sister, and she's about half Meg's size. It's comical how different they are, really. The ONE big thing they have in common is their appetites . . . I might be raising girls, but they eat me out of house and home like a boy!

___________

We still don't know my mom's official cause of death. The autopsy and toxicology report have not come back . . . and she died on July 9th. We are in the 3rd month of what could be a 4 month wait. It's exhausting my poor father. He's always thinking about it . . . what it could have been, what is taking so long, what will he feel like when he knows and can have closure. Pray for quick results . . . it's really agony.

_____________

Taking the girls to see Sesame Street Live! Elmo's Green Thumb tonight.

Solo. Just me and the girls. In downtown Atlanta. In the rain. Wish me luck.


_____________


Sometimes I'm overwhelmed with the way we are raising our girls. Their lifestyle, their home, their parents, each other . . . I feel like I am giving them so much more than I could have dreamed of as a child. Not to say that my childhood was miserable . . . but don't we all want better for our kids? We're doing it . . . Jim and I are doing it. Even on the bad days, we are giving Kate and Meg a wonderful life with our family. And it feels really good.

_____________

Look -- Kate is totally going to be an engineer! Her favorite toy these days: her abacus. No, I'm not kidding. The little wooden balls spin so quickly and make a lot of clicking sounds; it makes her smile like nothing else.
Surely her love of the abacus means she'll grow up loving math, right?!

1 comment:

The Cibulas said...

We are off to Sesame Street Live on Saturday. You'll have to let me know how it is. This will be J's first "theatrical production"!