Monday, June 1, 2009

I Love the Summer


I don't know how much blogging I'll be doing this summer. There is so much stuff going on to enjoy during the day that I find myself exhausted and unwilling to think hard enough to write a half-way interesting post in the evenings (when I most often write).
At least, that's what the past few days have been like. We've been at the pool, the park, bbqs, our own backyard . . . and all the time, I find myself thinking, "I LOVE summer."

I love a summer schedule. The girls have naturally fallen into a different rhythm, now that the days are longer and our normal school schedule has been tossed to the side. We are eating dinner a little later and going to bed around 8:00 pm . . . which is no problem. We have been so busy during our days, that naps are more than two hours (for BOTH girls!), making our afternoons start and end later than usual. And nobody cares -- which is the best part. They aren't exactly sleeping IN, but they aren't beating my door down before 7am, so I'll take it. Really, I'm enjoying it . . . the flexibility, the different routine. Some of it, I'm sure, is related to Kate's move from a baby-baby to more of a toddler-baby (she's kind of a hybrid right now, I'd say). She's becoming so much more flexible about eating, sleeping, etc. And some of it is because I'm more relaxed and enjoying this time of year with our family. However it is composed, it's a great time at our house.


I love summer weather and summer clothes. Each day, we dress in shorts or sun dresses -- or bathing suits. Sandals, of course -- and Meg is old enough for flip-flops this summer. SO adorable. The hot weather bothers me in August, but right now it's welcome and warm. Yummy. The weather and the clothing that comes with summer would probably be my favorites for the entire year. So easy and carefree. (And it helps that I'm pretty much back to a pre-baby size, so I can't complain about how things fit anymore!)

I love summer activities. THE POOL, in particular. I'm totally a pool junkie . . . and I have not been able to feed my habit for a few years now. Summer 2006: pregnant, then brand new baby Meg. Summer 2007: we moved, right in the middle of the summer, and we had a one-yr old, and I was pregnant in July and August. Summer 2008: pregnant, then brand new baby Kate. For three years now, I really have not had the time or the means to just lounge by the pool. This year, I (kinda) do. I wouldn't exactly say that chasing my three year old and one year old around the pool deck is lounging . . . but you know what I mean. We are out, poolside, in the sun. And the kids can't get enough. Three days of nothing but POOL so far -- now that the rain finally stopped -- and I'm LOVING it. Maybe one of these weekends I can escape to the pool sans kids for a few hours and really soak up the sun.



I just like the way summer feels. Everyone seems relaxed. There is lighter traffic on the roads. You can eat on the deck. There are fun outdoor activities -- concerts, festivals, theme parks. People go on vacation and come back tan and ready to tell you about the cool beaches they visited. YOU go on vacation and spend a week or so anticipating it, a week or so enjoying it, and a week or so recovering. It's a great time of year.



So, I'll blog as much as I can . . . and I probably will find more time in July, after Birthday Palooza 2009 and all that the birthday celebrations are going to bring to our house here in a few weeks.

For now, I'm just enjoying summer. I hope you are, too.

3 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

We enjoyed it with you today!!

The Cibulas said...

DIDO! I could do summer year round!

The Fokens Family said...

And, you must click on the group shot of the kiddos today on our blog. Kate is just so HAPPY with her purple popsicle!! I could just squeeze her!
~E