Friday, June 26, 2009

Favorite Photo Friday


Kate Allison, at home in Marietta, GA, April 28, 2009




While working on a 'first year' photo book for Kate, and I came across this picture today. I was trying to capture her crawling stage, which was so short but sweet. I'm glad I snapped this one . . . something to help me remember a phase that was as short and fleeting as all the precious baby stages are.


I have a confession to make: I'm having a hard time realizing that Kate is now 1 and that there is no baby coming along right behind her. When Meg was the age Kate is now, we were pregnant again. Then we weren't, then we were again. I've had 3+ solid years of baby . . . which I thought I was ready to take a break from but am actually finding hard to let go.


I honestly do think that the spacing we've decided between Kate and Baby Sibling IS what is best for us, practically and logistically . . . but now that Kate is really walking and seeming so much older, a whole 2 more years before another baby is feeling like a looong time. I'm missing having a baby already -- and I've still got one! I didn't know I'd feel this way. I'm a little shocked at my reaction . . . but when I finally stopped kidding myself, I realized what was going on. And no, I haven't stopped nursing yet. That is the last step . . . and one that I believe Kate is ready for. Now if I can just gear myself up for that separation, then Kate will officially not be my (dependant) baby any more.

1 comment:

The Fokens Family said...

Beautiful crawling photo! I have two of Miller b/c you think that stage will last forever.
Maybe you'll have an ACTIVE boy next time, and you just need two years to get ready to put your running shoes on! HA!
I'm still chasing this one! Hopefully, he'll slow down when it's time for # 2!!