Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Guest Lists

Birthday Party Planning is in phase 2 around here: plans are made, and I'm putting them into action. Making signs, banners, tying ribbons, collecting party favors.

I've mentioned that we are doing 2 parties this year -- because Kate absolutely deserves her own first birthday party. So, the 1st Birthday Bash is here at our house, family and a few (mostly kid-less) friends. That's on a Saturday. Then, on the following Monday, Meg will celebrate her big third birthday. At the pool. With her friends. Her party was supposed to be the 'small' one . . . but it's quickly gotten out of hand.


It's so very hard to create a party guest list and NOT hurt feelings. This year, that is times TWO for us. When I sat down to make the list for Kate's party, it was not hard. Family. A few friends that would probably not be able to make it to a Monday afternoon pool party. A few friends that we wanted to invite to BOTH parties. You'd think that would be easy . . . but then I remembered that families can be tricky sometimes. You love them all, but they might not all love each other. In the end, I just invited them all . . . and I hope they all can make it. That was the easiest solution.


Meg's list was harder. I started with just the kids SHE spends time with. She is a regular kid now, and she has her own friends that she would like to party with. The list, originally, was about a dozen. Throw in a few other friends that we might not see that often but would be sorely missed at the celebration. And, since the party IS in our neighborhood, I added a few families we know and see often around the 'hampton. Now her party -- which I honestly wanted to be SMALL -- is up to 27 kids. That is the opposite of small.


And the sad part -- there are still kids I would like to invite. I feel bad that I've had to leave people out. There are friends we see when we hang out with other groups, preschool friends (I didn't invite even ONE from her class!), old buddies from mom-and-me classes, and some other random people that I just could not invite. I wanted to . . . but for the sake of keeping the party small (ha!), I just didn't. And there are even a few friends who were invited to Meg's party or Kate's party who I think would really have liked to come to both.


I can't please everyone, but it doesn't stop me from trying. Or for feeling bad about not pleasing the entire crowd. If you are reading this and are upset about the invite/not invite, don't hate me. I'm sorry in advance, and I can just ask for understanding.
Then again -- some people might be relieved NOT to be invited. Why should I assume so many people would want to celebrate with us? See? I can't win.
I'll just go about my party planning -- see pics below -- and look forward to some rockin' celebrations around here in a few weeks. I'll keep you updated as the plans fall in place.




Party junk that is taking over our dining room.



Stuff for the decor/signs I'm finishing up . . . and the party plates/colors for Kate's party.





Kate's party attire -- I made the tutu. SO easy -- if you have girls, don't ever buy one! I just tied tulle in knots on a piece of ribbon. Ta da! Custom Tutu to match the party shirt.

4 comments:

The Cibulas said...

I LOVE Kate's party wear! Too cute!

Becky said...

I so feel your pain, I go through the same thing every year (both of them) and keep saying I can't wait for Zoey to be old enough to pick her own guest list, then I can blame it on her :) I hate leaving people out and thinking they will feel bad!

Keisha said...

I can't believe you didn't invite us to Kate's big birthday bash!! ;)

Anonymous said...

You are not right. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.