Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Facebook

I keep hearing from others, "Have you heard of this Facebook thing?" Yes, I have. Actually, back when I started my 'page' it was a site exclusively for college students, and I was cool enough to be a grad student and eligible to participate. Sometime since 2006, they have opened the floodgates to everyone, and their are millions of new 'faces' on Facebook.

And -- crazy enough -- a lot of them are people I know.

So, today I visited the 'friendly' site to see if there were any new faces that I hadn't seen in a while. It was CRAZY to find so many, many people from my past . . . people I hadn't even thought of in years.

It made me think about how many phases I've already had in my adult life.

My "college" phase. By far, most of my Facebook contacts are from this era. I just knew so many different people in college . . . band friends (yes, I was a Redcoat), sorority friends, classmates. Many are now married with children, as am I.

The "News America" phase, when I was a single, free-wheelin' gal selling ad space and traveling to NYC every few months. A few friends that I remember from those days had found me on Facebook, and it was kinda funny to see what we are all up to now that News Corp drove (most of us) us away and we are on to different things.

My "Friend's of Jim's" phase . . . which is not really a phase, but more of a way I got to know some of my contacts. I don't really think of them as 'Jim's Friends' anymore because many of them are closer friend of MINE than they are of Jim's. They are just people I met through Jim.

The "Grad School" phase, when I went back and got my Masters in Education at Georgia. Those friends were short but sweet . . . I don't really keep in touch with any of them, sadly. Now maybe at least I see their smiling faces from time to time on Facebook.

The also short-but-sweet "Teacher" phase, during which I took over a 3rd grade classroom and finished up the 2005-06 school year with 15 3rd graders. Some of my friends from that era are no longer teaching either, but some of them are. Teaching or not, they have found their way (and me) on Facebook.

My current "Mommy" phase. I have found some of my 'mom friends' (as I call them) on Facebook, complete with pictures of their kids that I know so well. Actually, some of these friends have MY pictures of their kids on the site. It's fun to see my work . . . to see how others enjoy and use it.

My good buddy T has talked many times about parties in which you invite these friends from all facets of your life, and your 'world's collide' right in front of you. You know what I'm talking about. Maybe it's a birthday or some other special occasion, and you have all the people over that you care so much about . . . and you quickly realize that the only thing the guests have in common is you. Your wedding is probably the epitome of 'worlds colliding' events. Facebook, I believe, would come only second to your wedding. Everyone you know is on there, they don't all know each other, but they all (somehow) know you.

Facebook is fun to goof around on. Yeah, like I need another excuse to get on the computer and goof off. I already have el blog-o, Flickr, and email. Those three keep me pretty busy. I guess I'll add Facebook to the mix . . . if I can keep up. There are so MANY things to do and stuff to read, I can hardly even understand it all. And I'm sure there is etiquette I'll have to figure out . . . like, it is OK to NOT 'friend' someone if you just don't remember them (or care to remember them)?

Who knows. For now, I'll update my pictures and catch up with some old buddies. See you on Facebook.

No comments: