Monday, May 11, 2009

Dear Ms. Anne and Ms. Keisha


Dear Ms. Anne and Ms. Keisha,


My mom would like me to apologize for how I behaved at our lunch playdate this morning. Really, I think I shocked my own mother with my horrible fits and incessant whining during our visit. I've never really acted like that before . . . at least not out in public. My mom hopes that this will be my one and only display for a crowd . . . it was a pretty miserable ride home, so I know I must have done something really wrong.


I was even a little shocked at my own behavior. I guess I'm just testing my boundaries . . . seeing if my mom really means what she says. And, I'm learning that she does. I had no birthday cake today to celebrate your birthday, Ms. Anne. I wish I had acted better so I could have enjoyed the yummy ice cream cake. And, Ms. Keisha, I didn't even get a chance to tell you THANKS for having us over and for all the special treats you gave me. My mom rushed us all out the door so fast at 1 o'clock because she just couldn't deal with me for one more second. I'm sorry I caused such a problem, and I'm sorry that I missed out on a really good time. My mom is even MORE sorry that she didn't get to spend even a few minutes talking to her friends because she was so busy dealing with her kids. I made it a pretty miserable morning for everyone involved. I'm sorry for that.


My poor mother . . . she's been dealing with some real attitude from me lately. I guess that turning 3 means that the 'terrible twos' are over, but it appears that I am only just beginning. I wasn't a bad two year old, honestly. However, if being 3 continues to be as bad as it's been the past few weeks (and -- actually -- I'm technically still 2 until June), my mom might need some heavy medication. Or she might become an alcoholic. I'm not sure exactly what either of those things mean, but I don't think it's good.


To top it all off -- my little sister is working on some new teeth. She's a classic 'baby teether' . . . runny nose, poopy pants, cranky attitude, drooly, sleep interruptions. We know the teeth are coming, it's just a matter of when. I guess my terrible attitude and my sister's teeth related fussiness has created the Perfect Storm of misery around here for my mom.


My mother really did intend on having a good time today. She was looking forward to it all weekend . . . she even made a special trip to TCBY for the yummy cake I didn't get to eat. She wanted to talk to you, Ms. Anne, about how life is with baby, how you like staying at home . . . and she wanted to talk to you, Ms. Keisha, about your summer plans and when we could all play together again. I kinda ruined it all . . . I kept having to be sent to Time Out and I kept complaining about everything . . . my mom pretty much talked to nobody and then had to leave because she couldn't take it any more.


Yes, I was tired. For whatever reason, I was up for about 2 HOURS in the middle of the night last night. My parents were NOT happy about that. And yes, I'm only 2. I am learning what my mom will and won't tolerate, and I'm still a little kid at times. But even still . . . there is no excuse for my behavior. Believe me, my mom has been telling me that over and over since we left your house.


My mom called my dad at 1:30 pm to see how early he could come home from work. She needs the relief. As I mentioned, I've been quite a pill for SEVERAL days now, so I think Mom is reaching her limit. Dad can't come home early, so my mom is just going to have to deal with me (and Kate) for the afternoon and pray that the traffic doesn't keep Daddy away any longer than absolutely necessary. It's been a long day already, and it's only nap time.


Anyway, sorry again for how I behaved. I hope I only ruined my mom's visit, not everyone else's, too. Hopefully the next time you are in town, Ms. Anne, my mom can take you out WITHOUT me. She'd really like that . . . she has found that outings sans children are better for her if she actually wants to enjoy adult time.


Thanks for having us, Ms. Keisha. Please tell Kendall and Tanner I'm sorry and that I hope to see them again soon. Let's go to the pool here in a few weeks . . . maybe then I'll be preoccupied and you and my mom can do a little more visiting. And Ms. Anne . . . my mom said next time she sees you and Jack, she wants to HOLD that cute little boy . . . she didn't even have a chance to today!


With many apologies and much love,

Meg Dahlby

5 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

Beautiful Header, Heather. Everyone is coordinated so nicely!

The Cibulas said...

Are you sure that wasn't supposed to be signed "Jack"? Sounds like our V'day playdate this year and well, the past 3 weeks of my life. (Basically since he turned 2)

Anonymous said...

Ah...yes...My Ryan was a delightful 2-year-old. He was a TERRIBLE 3-year-old. So...they all go through it some time. Daniel is TERRIBLE 2's...so I'm hoping 3 is fabulous. Kids are so fun!!
-Tricia

Keisha said...

Dear Meg,

No need for any apologies. As I told you when you were leaving, I feel the same way sometimes. It's tough to be nice when you are sleepy. Remember, I didn't get good sleep for almost 2 1/2 years! Kendall and Tanner would be happy to see you and play at the pool in a few weeks ... that sounds like a lot of fun. I am sorry you didn't get any of the yummy birthday cake; it was delicious. Maybe when we get together in the summer you will be up for some cookies or brownies. And tell your mommy that I understand her stress, but honestly no one was bothered by your whining and occupancy of the time out spot. Tell your mommy, too, that if she ever needs anything (to help out with you and your teething sister), don't hesitate to call me. I'm always up for a visit!!

Looking forward to you feeling better the next time we play.

Ms. Keisha

Anne said...

Sorry! No need!!!! I am sorry it took me this long to read your blog!!! I have been a little busy myself! It was great to see you and the kids good or bad. It happens I am sure I will have many days like that as well - Remember I have a 9 yr old girl going on 16. Rich was glad to meet you and hopes to have more time with both of you. You look beautiful! I plan to get down some this summer will keep you and Keisha posted! Maybe I'll just park at your house for a night and we can really have some girl time!! Miss ya
Thanks for my cake it was awesome!!!
Cheers
Hugs
Anne