Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July


In the same spirit of nostalgia from my previous post . . . I remember this day last year very well. It was our first holiday as a family of four, and it felt great. We went to the pool, we saw fireworks on the Square. I remember it being a really great day and feeling really good about our little family. I remember thinking, "We can do this. THIS is what it's all about." In light of the trouble I was having adjusting to life with 2 kids, the 4th came at a great time for me to realize that life was so good . . . that our family was perfect.





And now, one year later, I feel even better. We are one year older, one year smarter, one year MORE in love with our family. I can look back on the last year and what we've accomplished, and I'm so proud of us. Of all of us . . . for surviving a year that had many, many ups and downs for each one of us.



Our July 4th holiday was simple: we went to the Woodstock parade this morning with family friends, the Bartholomews and the Cofields, and then we hit the Square again for fireworks. The girls had a spectacular time at both activities, and Jim and I had such fun watching them enjoy each minute. Another great 4th at home with each other.






I hope everyone had a great holiday with their family. Now that I have a wonderful family of my own, that's what holidays like this have become . . . great time spent with the ones I love more than I ever dreamed possible.






Oh, yeah, and Happy Birthday to America, too. We sure do live in an awesome country. (I'm totally guilty of enjoying the fun and festivities and sometimes forgetting about the true meaning of the celebration . . . but trust me, I'm a BIG fan of our country!)









Funny Comment of the Day: when playing on the kids' train at the Square, some lady pointed to Kate and commented to me . . . "Look, this little girl has a dress on just like your little girl's!"


Um, they are both my little girls, lady.


It's not that weird for sisters to dress alike, is it?


4th of July 2009

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are there never any pictures of your mom? Do you not get along with her? Your dad looks good and seems to be doing better.

Heather Dahlby said...

My mom is not 100% in the mental health department. She's bipolar and an alcoholic . . . though she's slowed down on the booze considerably in the past couple of years. She and my dad have been separated in the past and are now back together . . . but the relationship is not very good most of the time. She comes in and out of the picture. But this year on July 4th, she was on the 'bad side' and was not willing to be around us. Same with the girl's birthdays -- and most holidays, for that matter.

No, I don't really get along with my mom that well. We have little in common and -- to be quite honest -- she really does not like me at all. She has made that painfully clear on many, many occassions. I don't blog about it b/c she often reads -- but who knows if she reads the comments.

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry about your mom. I'm sure the situation is hard for everybody. You seem like a great person, so your mom is the one who is really missing out on a lot. It's too bad that she does not have a relationship with your adorable girls -- again, her loss.

Kelly Paynter said...

Goodness, how did this get to be about your mom? Let's get back to those adorable blue and red matching dresses your girls are wearing!!!! Love 'em!!!! :-)