Monday, February 11, 2008

In Some Cases, There is No Room for Democracy

You commenters on this blog are making me laugh . . . I’m sure you WOULD love to vote on the name for our newest additon to the family! What fun that might be for Jim and I . . . but since we already have people like, oh, my dad weighing in all the time, I think we’ve got our share of ‘advice’ on this naming of little girl # 2. And -- as much fun as voting might be -- there really is no vote. We’ve decided on a name for our new baby girl.

So, drum roll please . . .

Kate Allison

Kate Allison Dahlby

KAD

Kate, Meg and Kate, little Katie . . . we love it. Actually, I’ve always loved it, and Jim put his two cents in last weekend.


_____________________________________________________________

Setting: Driving in the car, returning from a friend’s surprise party


Heather: “So, what are we going to name this little one?” (asked for the 100th time that day)

Jim: “I would say ‘Kate’ is my number one.”

Heather: “I have so many hang ups with Katherine . . . I LOVE it, but . . . “

(see, my grandmother is Catherine, my cousin is Kathryn . . . there are already two on my side of the family . . . then there is the fact that we know several of our friends love ‘Kate’ for their own potential-girls, too . . . )

Jim: “Could we just name her ‘Kate’?”

Heather: “What middle name goes with that? I think it needs to be multi-syllable because ‘Kate’ is so short.”


-- input the tossing around of dozens of names here --


_____________________________________________________________

Skip ahead to Monday – an email sent to Jim from me:

To: ‘jim dahlby’
CC:
Subject: How About

Kate Allison?

Kate Allison Dahlby

KAD

Heather Dahlby
http://www.hdportraitsonline.com/ -- new site!

______________________________________________________________


Then there was a phone call from Jim in Indianapolis last Monday evening during which I pitched ‘Kate Allison’ to Jim. His reply: “I like it.”

So, we have now said it over and over, and I think it’s the name for us. For her. For Meg’s little sister.

Kate Allison

There won’t be any voting on whether or not you like it, I’m sorry to say. The only voting now is how much you like it – your choices: like it, LOVE it, or planning-to-steal it.





Baby Kate's profile






Kate Allison -- her face with hands over her head on top, her profile open-mouthed on bottom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definately going to steal it since we figure we are having a girl! LOL

Ok...no, we already have a name that we love! Let's just hope we don't have a boy cuz all we got is, "Hey you kid!" Not suitable!

I think the name is very very pretty and feminine! I think it suits your family and Meg perfectly! Great choice!

Love,
Tiffany

Becky said...

Love, love, love it!! We never put Katherine (or any of the spellings) on our list for the same reason, but I LOVE Kate!

Yes! Now I can order monogrammed gifts :)

Hugs,
B

The Cibulas said...

Beautiful! It's wonderful to have that decision made, isn't it?